- Museum number
Marble head from a colossal statue of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius, veiled and wearing a wreath of corn. He may be shown here as a member of the college of the Arval Brethren, who sacrificed to Dea Dia, goddess of abundant harvests. The bust is modern.
- Production date
- 170-180 (circa)
Height: 79 centimetres
Width: 48 centimetres
Depth: 38 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Cook 2013, nr. 84:
Townley's description; ‘A head larger than life of Marcus Aurelius; it is veilled, and crowned with ears of corn, and chaplets. formerly in the Mattei collection’ (TY 12/3, park drawing room 4).
Bought from Hamilton for £50 (TY 8/4; TY 10/2, fo.25r; TY 10/3, fo. 29; 'Union Catalogue', fo. 17r).
The portraits of M. Aurelius ad L. Verus (1805.7-3.100 and 1805.7-3.103 = Sculptures 1907 and 1911), both formerly in the Mattei collection, were acquired from Hamilton in March 1773, the record of the payment being in Townley’s accounts (TY 8/4) under 22 April. Both were paid for by drafts rather than in cash.
* Townley drawing 2010,5006.69, tentatively attributed to Pacetti [I. D. Jenkins].
* Zoffany: B. F. Cook, `The Townley Marbles in Westminster and Bloomsbury', The British Museum Yearbook, 2 (1977), 36-37, figs. 19-20, no. 4.
Label: made ca. AD 170-80
- A. Venuti, Vetera Monumenta Matthaeiorum (Rome 1779), II, pl. 22.1.
- Synopsis of the Contents of the British Museum (1808) IV.9.
- Ancient Marbles of the British Museum, III, pl. 9.
- A Guide to the Graeco-Roman Sculptures in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities (Synopsis of the Contents of the British Museum) (2 vols., London 1874 [2nd ed. 1879] and 1876), I, no. 26.
- A. H. Smith, A Catalogue of Sculpture in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities, British Museum, Vol. III (London 1904), 162, no. 1907, pl. 16.2.
- M. Wegner, Die Herrscherbildnisse in antoninischer Zeit (Das römische Herrscherbild, II.4, Berlin 1939), 181.
- B. F. Cook, The Townley Marbles (London 1985), 16.
- Diana E. Kleiner, Roman Sculpture (New Haven and London 1992), 270-3.
- Susan Walker, Greek and Roman Portraits (London 1995), 92-3, fig 67.
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
2007, 9 Feb-10 Jun Beijing, Palace Museum, 'Britain Meets the World',
2009, 1 May-20 Sep, Victoria, Royal BC Museum, Treasures of the World's Cultures
2009-2010, 11 Dec-10 May, Madrid, Canal de Isabel II, Treasures of the World's Cultures
2015-2016 11 Dec-20 Mar, South Korea, Seoul Arts Center, Human Image: Masterpieces of figurative art from the British Museum
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number