- Museum number
Band for the arm, of blue, white and red glass beads strung around a coil of twine.
- Production date
- 19th century (pre-1890)
Diameter: 9.50 centimetres
Depth: 3.20 centimetres
- Curator's comments
"Armlet for the upper arm made in the missionary schools" - old label.
Collected between 1880 and 1890 by the late Admiral Carruthers, then Engineer-Lieutenant on board the survey ship HMS Ringdove.
The old label is written on the reverse of a card with the printed words:
Mrs James Carruthers
This type of band, formerly worn throughout Solomon Islands, may have been introduced in the colonial period from Vanuatu, where the same coiling techinque was used with shell as well as glass-beads.
- On display (G24/dc3)
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Register reads for collection Oc1949,05:
Given by Mrs. D. Carruthers, Beaconscott, Vincent Road, Selsey, Sussex.
Collected between 1880 and 1890 by the late admiral Carruthers, then Engineer-Lieutenant on board the survey ship H.M.S. Ringdove.
As HMS Ringdove was stationed in Australia from 1890 to 1901, this object would actually have been collected in the 1890s.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number