- Museum number
Weapon, in one piece with the blade and handle made of light wood. The blade is set with four rows of sharks teeth held between thin wooden slats and lashed with twisted vegetable fibre cord.
- Production date
Length: 85.70 centimetres
Width: 9.30 centimetres
Depth: 3.50 centimetres
- Curator's comments
Register addition "Ellice Islands".
Collected between 1880 and 1890 by the late admiral Carruthers, then Engineer-Lieutenant on board the survey ship HMS Ringdove.
Ellice Islands (addition to register - or Gilbert Islands)
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Register reads for collection Oc1949,05:
Given by Mrs. D. Carruthers, Beaconscott, Vincent Road, Selsey, Sussex.
Collected between 1880 and 1890 by the late admiral Carruthers, then Engineer-Lieutenant on board the survey ship H.M.S. Ringdove.
As HMS Ringdove was stationed in Australia from 1890 to 1901, this object would actually have been collected in the 1890s.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number