- Museum number
Grey stone barbed and tanged arrow-head.
Length: 5 centimetres
Width: 3 centimetres
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- 1831 (?)
- Acquisition notes
- Found apparently unregistered in South American collections in 1997. Formally registered in June 2013.
Object was found in a box with five additional arrow-heads. Five are made of obsidian, four of which are labelled "Tierra del Fuego". One of the arrow-heads (Am1997,Q.1566) is also labelled "Capt. King". This is a reference to Captain Phillip Parker King, who commanded HMS Adventure during the 1826-1831 surveying expedition to Patagonia and who donated a collection of material acquired on this expedition to the Museum in 1831. It is likely therefore that these arrow-heads formed part of that collection, although no reference to them has been located in any of the contemporary documentation.
This arrow-head is made from a different material to the others and does not appear to have ever had a label, so its provenance is not certain.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number