- Museum number
Man's openwork cap made of dom palm fibre.
- Production date
Diameter: 18 centimetres
Height: 10 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Many of the objects in this collection were previously displayed in an exhibition,'The Arts of the Hausa', at the Commonwealth Institute, 1976, as part of the World of Islam Festival. This basketry cap was made by a young Hausa boy from dom palm fronds. It is similar in form to the caps often brought back from Mecca by returning pilgrims. It was acquired by the vendor during a period of fieldwork in northern Nigeria in 1973.
- Not on display
- Good. Some palm strips are broken or split. Small area with black paint and anpother area with white paint marks.
- Associated events
- Associated Event: Pilgrimage to Mecca
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Acquired by the vendor in Zaria, northern Nigeria in 1973.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number