- Museum number
- Series: Benin Plaques
Relief plaque, lost-wax cast in brass. Wide plaque, rectangular in form with side flanges. Background surface decorated with river leaf patterns and stippling. One nail hole and one partial hole at top, one hole at bottom. Iron nail still in position at top left.
Depicts central high-ranking figure (often identified as Oba Ozolua), facing front, with two flanking warriors and two attendants. Central figure wears rectangular beaded headgear with long streamers at either side, deep beaded collar, leopard's tooth necklace, quadrangular bell on chest, bracelets and beaded anklets. Figure wears short-sleeved textured tunic decorated with snakes. Holds eben sword aloft in right hand and spear in left hand.
Two flanking warriors wear high headgear, leopard's tooth necklaces, quadrangular bells on chest, leopard-designed body armour, patterned wrap-around skirts. Warrior on left holds shield in left and holds same spear as central figure in right. Warrior on right holds shield in left hand and spear in right hand. Smaller scale figures to left and right of central figure wear patterned domed helmets, quadrangular bells on chest, patterned wrap-around skirts. Figure on right holds pair of gongs (one broken off) and figure on left blows horn.
- Production date
Height: 44 centimetres
Width: 40 centimetres
Depth: 8 centimetres
- Curator's comments
The relief brass plaques that used to decorate the Oba's (king's) palace are among the most well-known of all the royal arts of Benin. Although frequently described as 'Benin Bronzes' most plaques are made of leaded brass in various compositions. It is widely accepted that they date to the 16th-17th centuries.
In the years prior to the British Expedition royal influence in Benin was increasingly under threat from rival powers, both internal and external, with a focus on economic power and control of the important trading monopolies. However, the court and palace remained the political and spiritual centre of the Benin Kingdom. Earlier accounts written by Europeans visiting the city describe its size and scale. The palace complex was set up around atrium courtyards; some had galleries with wooden pillars supporting the roof. Brass plaques, probably made in matching pairs, were fixed to these pillars.
The Benin brass plaques represent a distinct and unique corpus of work, unparalleled elsewhere on the continent. They are cast using the cire perdue (lost wax) technique and show significant variation in the depth of the relief. Some of the plaques portray historical events or commemorate successful wars, while others are a vivid depiction of Benin court life and ritual. Several groups of plaques show clear stylistic similarities. William B. Fagg suggested that these plaques represent the work of master brass casters.
Fagg, William, 1973, 'Nigerian Images', London: Lund Humphries
Gunsch, Kathryn, 2018, 'Benin plaques: a 16th century imperial monument', London: Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group
Part of Processional Pillar Set 4. Row 3C. Central high-ranking figure with warriors and entourage (Gunsch, 2018).
Read & Dalton 1899:
This panel bears a close resemblance to Af1898,0115.51, the attitude and relative position of composition of which both beads and feathers appear to enter, and from the foremost corners of which long feather tassels depend. His long garment is similar to that of the persons in the last figure, but has shorter sleeves and an extended end, as in the following figure and passim. His anklets appear to be made of metal chain-work.
- On display (G25/od)
- Exhibition history
1970-1973, London, Museum of Mankind, Divine Kingship in Africa
- Fair; top right and left corners missing. Entire bottom edge missing. Small chip from top centre edge.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Following the British occupation of Benin City (Edo) in 1897 objects made of brass, ivory and wood were looted by British forces from the royal palace, its storerooms and compounds. Some of these objects were sold or exchanged on the coast. However, many were brought to the UK where they were sold through private auction, donated to museums, or retained by soldiers of the expedition.
The British Museum successfully petitioned the government to secure some of the relief plaques and over 300 were sent to the UK by the Consul-General [Sir] Ralph Moor and placed at the Foreign Office. During the summer of 1897 the Crown Agents for the Colonies, on behalf of the Foreign Office, agreed a temporary loan of 304 plaques to the British Museum. In September these were placed on public display in the Assyrian basement where they attracted considerable public attention. The Museum initially received 203 of these plaques as a gift from the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. In the summer of 1898 a further eleven plaques were sent to the British Museum from the Foreign Office and three of these were selected by the Museum and were subsequently presented as a gift. Of the remaining plaques the Foreign Office retained eight and the rest were offered for sale to major museums, collectors and private dealers in Europe and the UK. Today over nine hundred plaques are known to exist in museums and private collections around the world.
See Collection File: Af1898,0115.1-203 (previously Eth.Doc.185
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Previous owner/ex-collection number: 269 (Foreign Office number)