- Museum number
Pair of slippers with leather soles, stitched to silver inner sole and gilded silver uppers. The three layers of the slippers are stitched together with blue silk thread, a decorative upper stitch of metal [copper?] bound thread forms a chain stitch through which the silk thread passes.
The silver uppers are made in two parts, front and back, soldered together. The backs of the slippers are decorated with fine filigree work of round armed crosses and raised ovoid bosses.
The fronts are decorated with bands of gilded filigree crosses, wirework and two elaborate filigree crosses. The front of the slippers arch upwards to a point and the toes curl sharply upwards.
- Production date
Height: 6 centimetres (a)
Height: 6 centimetres (b)
Width: 10.50 centimetres (a)
Width: 10 centimetres (b)
Depth: 25.50 centimetres (a)
Depth: 25.50 centimetres (b)
- Curator's comments
This type of slipper was only worn by royalty and the highest ranking members of the church such as the Etchege or Bishop. An illustration of these slippers in the Illustrated News of 1868 states that they once belonged to Bishop Selama who was head of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church from 1841 - 1867. In 1864 he was incarcerated at Maqdala by Emperor Tewodros II where he died three years later in 1867.
See file in Eth Doc 439 in AOA Archives on transfer of these objects from former Medieval & Later Dept.
- Not on display
- Good, some wear to the leather soles each of which has two small holes.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Maqdala, an almost impenetrable mountain top fortress in northern Ethiopia, became the seat of power and a retreat for Emperor Tewodros II (1855-1868). The Emperor intended Maqdala to become his capital and treasury. He collected many manuscripts from churches throughout Ethiopia and brought them to Maqdala with the intention of creating a great library and seat of learning. His treasury included many fine examples of Ethiopian art including textiles, paintings and metal work.
In the 1860s relations between Tewodros and Britain became strained and relations deteriorated further when Tewodros imprisoned the British consul and several European missionaries. In 1867 a military expedition led by Sir Robert Napier was sent to free the British captives with a force made up of 12,000 men from both the British and Indian armies.
At dawn on Easter Monday April 13th 1868, Napier ordered an assault on Maqdala to destroy Tewodros’s stronghold. When his troops entered the fortress they found the Emperor already dead. Rather than surrender, Tewodros had taken his own life using a pistol which had been a gift from Queen Victoria. This last defiant act has immortalised Tewodros as a national hero for many Ethiopians.
Material taken from Maqdala was auctioned soon after on the Delanta plain. Richard Rivington Holmes, an assistant in the manuscripts department of The British Museum, had accompanied the expedition as an archaeologist. He acquired a number of objects for the British Museum, including around 300 manuscripts which are now housed in the British Library. In 1868 the Secretary of State for India, Sir Stafford Henry Northcote, 1st Earl of Iddesleigh, donated to The British Museum two further collections of material from Maqdala.
Material from Maqdala can be found in public collections in North America and Europe as well as in private collections worldwide. When the Maqdala collections first entered the British Museum in 1868 they stimulated a worldwide interest in the archaeology, history and culture of Ethiopia which has continued to this day. For Tewodros’ library see Rita Pankhurst ‘The Library of Emperor Tewodros II…’ Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 36(1), 1973 pp 15-42.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number