- Museum number
Paten made of silver gilt engraved with holy images on uppermost surface and Ge'ez inscriptions around the rim. In the centre of the paten is the representation of Christ as the sacrificial lamb, to the left is the Virgin Mary with a cross on her mantle and an elaborate halo. She kneels before the lamb; tears are shown on her face and her hands are raised in grief. To the right are two identical bearded men in tears, with hands raised in grief. Below the lamb is a semi prostrate figure of a man in priest's robes. Around the edge of the paten are eleven figures which represent Christ's followers, all bearded and wearing hooded priests' robes. Around the internal surface of the raised rim are seven angels.
- Production date
Diameter: 10.50 inches
- Curator's comments
The lamb forms a distinct group with two identical weeping figures and they may represent the Holy Trinity, the Son, the Father and the Holy Spirit. In Ethiopian iconography the Holy Trinity is often depicted as three identical male figures. Here the Son, Christ, takes the form of the Agnes Dei because the paten is used to hold the Eucharist bread, believed by Ethiopian Christians to be the body of Christ.
The figure below the lamb may be that of Saint John. The Agnes Dei symbolises the crucified Christ and both Mary and St. John are usually depicted weeping at the foot of the cross in crucifixion scenes.
See file in Eth Doc 439 in AOA Archives on transfer of these objects from former Medieval & Later Dept.
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
2017-2018 2 Nov-8 Apr, BM Gallery 35, Living with gods
- Associated events
- Associated Event: Siege of Magdala 1868
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Maqdala, an almost impenetrable mountain top fortress in northern Ethiopia, became the seat of power and a retreat for Emperor Tewodros II (1855-1868). The Emperor intended Maqdala to become his capital and treasury. He collected many manuscripts from churches throughout Ethiopia and brought them to Maqdala with the intention of creating a great library and seat of learning. His treasury included many fine examples of Ethiopian art including textiles, paintings and metal work.
In the 1860s relations between Tewodros and Britain became strained and relations deteriorated further when Tewodros imprisoned the British consul and several European missionaries. In 1867 a military expedition led by Sir Robert Napier was sent to free the British captives with a force made up of 12,000 men from both the British and Indian armies.
At dawn on Easter Monday April 13th 1868, Napier ordered an assault on Maqdala to destroy Tewodros’s stronghold. When his troops entered the fortress they found the Emperor already dead. Rather than surrender, Tewodros had taken his own life using a pistol which had been a gift from Queen Victoria. This last defiant act has immortalised Tewodros as a national hero for many Ethiopians.
Material taken from Maqdala was auctioned soon after on the Delanta plain. Richard Rivington Holmes, an assistant in the manuscripts department of The British Museum, had accompanied the expedition as an archaeologist. He acquired a number of objects for the British Museum, including around 300 manuscripts which are now housed in the British Library. In 1868 the Secretary of State for India, Sir Stafford Henry Northcote, 1st Earl of Iddesleigh, donated to The British Museum two further collections of material from Maqdala.
Material from Maqdala can be found in public collections in North America and Europe as well as in private collections worldwide. When the Maqdala collections first entered the British Museum in 1868 they stimulated a worldwide interest in the archaeology, history and culture of Ethiopia which has continued to this day. For Tewodros’ library see Rita Pankhurst ‘The Library of Emperor Tewodros II…’ Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 36(1), 1973 pp 15-42.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number