- Museum number
HMS Endeavour wrecked at Endeavour River, North Queensland, hills in background and men rowing a boat in foreground, camp on shore with men building a structure.
- Production date
Height: 24.20 centimetres
Width: 52 centimetres
- Curator's comments
Done after a lost drawing, likely by Sydney Parkinson in 1770.
James Cook gave this place the name Endeavour River in 1770, after his ship was damaged on the off-shore reef and needed repairs. Cook and crew stayed here for almost seven weeks and had contact with local Aboriginal people, the Guugu Yimithirr. Collections of flora were made here by Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander, which were illustrated by Sydney Parkinson. The locality was revisited by Lieut P P King in 1819 and further botanical specimens collected by Alan Cunningham.
- Not on display
- Associated events
- Associated Event: Voyages of James Cook 1768-1780
- Acquisition notes
- Found unregistered in the collections.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number