lantern slide (photographic)
- Museum number
Photograph (black and white); lantern slide; showing the wharenui (carved meeting house) of Te Pairi Tuterangi, a noted tohunga (priest) of the Tuhoe tribe. The house, which was built by Te Pairi, is known as Te Tatua-ki-a-Hape-Tuarangi. It still stands today at Omuriwaka marae in the Waimana Valley, New Zealand.
Te Pairi is seen standing in front of the house.
- Production date
Height: 8.20 centimetres
Width: 8.20 centimetres
- Curator's comments
Information supplied by a descendant of Te Pairi suggests that Kissling was mistaken in his claim that the house was built during the First World War and, instead, dates its opening to 1933. The house was built with assistance from the carver Matanuku of Te Aitanga-a-Mahaki.
Production: This lantern slide is one of 62 from a collection of slides, of images by Werner Kissling in New Zealand, which relates to a collection of prints of Kissling's in the BM Pictorial Collection: Oc,B127 and Oc,B128. Some of the same Kissling images can be found in the photographic collection of the Cambridge Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
Description: the print of this image was accompanied by an index card typed by Werner Kissling, which reads:
Chief's Carved House.
Carved house of chief Tepairi Oterangi [sic] (Tuhoe), built during the first world war. It represented a type of native WHARE that used to be occupied by a man of standing, showing different carving styles and motives of the various tribes. The essential old time features are retained in this wrought timber construction.
W. Kissling (1939) "
Related image: Oc,B127.21 is a print of this image.
- Not on display
- Glass cracked across the diameter, top.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: 20 (slide number)