negative(black and white)
- Museum number
Negative (black and white) showing the wharenui (carved meeting house) of Te Pairi Tuterangi, a noted tohunga (priest) of the Tuhoe tribe. The house, which was built by Te Pairi, is known as Te Tatua-ki-a-Hape-Tuarangi. It still stands today at Omuriwaka marae in the Waimana Valley, New Zealand. Te Pairi is seen standing in front of the house.
- Production date
Height: 2.50 centimetres
Width: 3.70 centimetres
- Curator's comments
Information supplied by a descendant of Te Pairi suggests that Kissling was mistaken in his claim that the house was built during the First World War and, instead, dates its opening to 1933. The house was built with assistance from the carver Matanuku of Te Aitanga-a-Mahaki.
Related images: this image is on a roll of film negatives of thirty nine images (Oc,F.N.3879 through 3917). The roll was in a cardboard canister labelled with the number "5 A3967 W Kissling"; which was in a wooden box bearing a label with the inscription: "MAORI NEGATIVES Property of Dr. Werner Kissling"
Oc,B127 and Oc,B128 are additionally part of this collection of images from New Zealand by Werner Kissling taken in the late 1930's. Some of the same Kissling images can be found in the photographic collection of the Cambridge Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
Image Oc,B127.21 is a print of this image, and is associated with an index card typed by Werner Kissling, which reads:
Chief's Carved House.
Carved house of chief Tepairi Oterangi (Tuhoe), built during the first world war. It represented a type of native WHARE that used to be occupied by a man of standing, showing different carving styles and motives of the various tribes. The essential old time features are retained in this wrought timber construction.
W. Kissling (1939) "
- Not on display
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: 5 (Film negative roll number)