photographic print(black and white);
- Museum number
- Object: BM William Blackmore Coll. Album 15
Photograph (black and white) from an album; studio portrait of Man with Yellow Hair (Guerito), a Jicarilla, apache, wearing a hair ornament with feathers and his hair in two plaits, a shell choker and breast plate, a hide shirt with quillwork(?) embroidery and tassels, and a blanket wrapped around his legs with a rectangular section of embroidery; Washington DC, United States of America.
- Production date
Height: 20.40 centimetres (image)
Height: 35.40 centimetres (mount)
Width: 12.70 centimetres (image)
Width: 27.60 centimetres (mount)
- Curator's comments
- Smithsonian Archives Catalogue Card: A copy of the catalogue card for this image can be found in the PicDoc for this image. The catalogue card indicates that the Smithsonian Institution owns a negative of this image, number: 2566. The following further information is on the catalogue card:
TRIBE: Apache - Cuericho. Jicarilla Band.
SUBJECT: Guerito = Man with Yellow Hair (front standing)
BLACKMORE COLLN: A15/1466
REMARKS: A young chief. Home: Jicarilla Res., N.Mex.
For short sketch see Jackson Cat 753
- Not on display
- Image badly fading with spotting (spotting from bronze powder on mount).
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 'Disposal book of the Salisbury South Wilts and Blackmore Museum No. 1 1928-1952' reports the disposal of a: "Photographs of North American Indians and miscellanea" given to the Department of Ceramics and Ethnography of the British Museum. It is dated 24th February 1932.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: A15/1466 (Old BM Blackmore collection number)