photographic print(black and white);
- Museum number
- Object: BM William Blackmore Coll. Album 14
Photograph (black and white) from an album; view of Crow burial caskets on raised wooden platform; Yellowstone, Montana, USA.
- Production date
Height: 17.30 centimetres (image)
Height: 27.60 centimetres (mount)
Width: 23.50 centimetres (image)
Width: 35.40 centimetres (mount)
- Curator's comments
- Related information: This image was found with a title page numbered A14/1, with an adhered printed list and handwritten notes, this document can be found in PicDoc 280. The printed part reads: "Absarakas
No. 940. KAM-NE-WA-CHE, Blackfoot and squaw.
No 941. IRON BULL and squaw.
No. 942. SE-TA-PIT-SE, Bear Wold, and squaw.
No. 943. OLD CROW and squaw.
No. 944. KAM-NE-WA-CHE; ICHE-HAS-KA, LONG HORSE and WHITE CALF
No. 945. MO-MUKH-PI-TCHE; Thin belly, and PISH-KI-HA-DI-RI-KY-ISH, The One that Leads the Old Dog.
No. 946. KAM-NE-WA-CHE, Blackfoot.
No. 947. I-SA-SEESH, He shows his face.
No. 948. MIT-CHOO-ASH, Onion
No. 949. GROUP OF CHIEFS.
No. 950. GROUP OF SQUAWS.
No. 951. INTERIOR OF LODGE.
No. 952. VILLAGE SCENE.
No. 953. “THE MISSION,” or Agency buildings.
No. 954. MODE OF BURIAL
No. 859. A GROUP 14 X 17, by Ulke, of Washington delegation.”
The handwritten part states: "Photographed by Jackson at Crow Agency Montana in 1871. ([?] in July 1872)
Crw Lodges (No 351 on plate)
(The others not marked missing [?]77)
A- pats-ki (Long [?])
B- Three Crow Chief by Jackson (names not given)"
Associated information: A copy of the catalog card for this image can be found in the pic-doc for this image. The copy of that card indicates that the Smithsonian National Anthropological Archives negative number for this image is 3435, and the Jackson Catalogue number is 954.
- Not on display
- Image very spotted and fading.
- Associated events
- Associated Event: Hayden Geological Survey 1871
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 'Disposal book of the Salisbury South Wilts and Blackmore Museum No. 1 1928-1952' reports the disposal of a: "Photographs of North American Indians and miscellanea" given to the Department of Ceramics and Ethnography of the British Museum. It is dated 24th February 1932.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: A14/1432 (Old BM Blackmore Collection Number)