photographic print(black and white);
- Museum number
- Object: BM William Blackmore Coll. Album 1
Photograph (black and white) from an album; studio portrait of Red Cloud (Ma-kpe-ah-lou- tah), a Dakota chief, and William Henry Blackmore; Red Cloud is seated on a fringed chair, wearing a neck tie, and a smock over studded trousers; William Henry Blackmore is wearing a suit and is standing next to Red Cloud, the two men are shaking hands; Washington D.C, United States of America.
- Production date
- May 1872
Height: 13.30 centimetres (image)
Height: 30.30 centimetres (mount)
Width: 9.60 centimetres (image)
Width: 25.30 centimetres (mount)
- Curator's comments
- Related information: this image was taken by Gardner in Washington DC, when a delegation of Native North Americans traveled there to meet with United States Government officials.
- Not on display
- Foxing on the both sides of the mount. Image badly fading and spotted.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 'Disposal book of the Salisbury South Wilts and Blackmore Museum No. 1 1928-1952' reports the disposal of a: "Photographs of North American Indians and miscellanea" given to the Department of Ceramics and Ethnography of the British Museum. It is dated 24th February 1932.
- Africa, Oceania and the Americas
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: A1/18 (Old BM Blackmore collection number)