- Museum number
Cast gun-metal medal. (whole)
Bust of Simon Vouet, left. (obverse)
Bust of Virginia del Vezzo, left. (reverse)
- Production date
- 1656 (18thC cast)
Thickness: 2.30 - 7.70 millimetres
Diameter: 61.000 millimetres
Weight: 90.30 grammes
- Curator's comments
- Jones 2
Composition of medal:
74.6% Cu, 3.8% Zn, 5.9% Sn, 14.5% Pb.
A, probably eighteenth century, aftercast.
Simon Vouet (1582-1649), called Vouet the Elder (first born) to distinguish him from his brother Aubin, married Virginia and brought her back to France in 1627, where she died in October 1638 (see 2). In 1640 Boutemie did a second medal, of her four children, and it was largely on the basis of the similarity of this composition to that of the reverse of his signed medal of Habert de Montmor that this piece had been attributed to him.
The example in the Ashmolean, however, is clearly signed BOUTEMIE on the reverse truncation and there are traces of a signature on the British Museum specimen.
(a) Cabinet des Médailles, Bibliothèque Nationale, 58 rue de Richelieu, 75084 Paris, France (B.N., Paris), Sér. Icon. Fr. 2146, cast, pierced, bronze, 61 mm (59 mm excluding rim).
(b) B.N., Paris, Sér. Icon. Fr. 2145, cast, pierced, gilt bronze. 62.5 mm (61.00 m excluding rim). Obverse only.
(c) Civiche Raccolte Numismatiche, Milan, Italy, bronze, 62 mm. Obverse only. Loop.
(d) Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, bronze, 62mm. Good original.
1. T.N. Méd. Fr. I pl. 63 no. 6.
2. H. Herluison Actes d'état-civil d'artistes français p.455.
3. Forrer I p. 105.
4. J. de Foville 'Daniel Boutemie' Revue de l'art 1912 pp. 439-48.
5. Gaston Brière and Marguerite Lamy 'Inventaire du Logis de Simon Vouet dans la grande galerie du Louvre' Fédération des Sociétés Historiques et Archéologiques de Paris et de V Ile-de-France: mémoires III (1951) p.172.
6. William R. Crelly The Painting of Simon Vouet p. 12.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Coins and Medals
- Registration number
- C&M catalogue number
MF2 (Jones 2) (114) (78)