- Museum number
Cast bronze medal; pierced. (whole)
Victory holding a palm branch in her left hand and a laurel wreath in her right and Plenty holding a cornucopia with both hands, seated in a chariot driven by Fame, holding a trumpet in the air from which hangs a flag bearing the arms of France. (reverse)
Bust of Henri II, laureate and in armour, facing right. (obverse)
- Production date
- 1555 (circa)
Diameter: 53.000 millimetres
- Curator's comments
(a) National Gallery of Art, 6th Street and Constitution Avenue, Washington DC, 20565, USA, Kress no. 542, cast bronze, 52 mm, late cast.
(b) Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine 04011, USA, Molinari no. 242, cast gilt bronze, 53 mm, pierced above head.
(c) Museo Nazionale di Napoli, Naples, Italy, inv. 134810, bronze, 52 mm.
(d) Cabinet des Médailles, Bibliothèque Nationale, 58 rue de Richelieu, 75084 Paris, France (BN, Paris), inv. no. 111, cast silver plated bronze, 52 mm.
(e) BN, Paris, inv. no. 114, cast gilt bronze, pierced, 53 mm.
(f) The Wallace Collection, Hertford House, Manchester Square, London Wl, 5364, gilt bronze, 52 mm.
Both obverse and reverse are similar in style to registration no. G3,FrM.42 and may have, on that basis, been attributed to Delaune (see 4).
The obverse portrait was used to decorate numerous bindings of works published from 1532-1560. It is interesting to note that on at least two occasions this médaille portrait was used on bindings that must have been made after Henri II's death in 1559 (see 5).
1. Luckius p. 152. The reverse is reversed.
2. TN Méd. Fr. I pl. 11 no. 5.
3. Armand III, p. 285 D.
4. Mazerolle II, no. 103.
5. E. Droz: 'Les reliures à la médaille d'Henri II' in 'Les Trésors des Bibliothèques de France', vol. IV, 1933 pp. 16-23. (Lists nine bindings bearing this portrait.)
6. J. G. Mann: 'Wallace Collection, Sculpture Catalogue', p. 135.
7. J. Babelon and J. Jacquiot: 'Histoire de Paris', no. 9.
8. The Salton Collection, no. 79. Bronze, 53 mm.
9. Pollard, no. 542.
10. Johnson, p. 139, fig. 29.
11. J. Fischer: 'Sculpture in miniature', no. 151, cast bronze, 53 mm.
12. Sotheby's Sale, 5 June 1975, lot 3, cast bronze, 52 mm.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Coins and Medals
- Registration number
- C&M catalogue number
MF1 (Jones 1) (88) (69)