- Museum number
Pewter medal. (whole)
Bare head of Lord Lynedoch, right. (obverse)
A Roman soldier holding a sword in his right hand and a naval crown in his left, standing upon the ramparts of the town of San Sebastian. (reverse)
- Production date
Diameter: 40.000 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Brown 1980 states:
Thomas Graham, Baron Lynedoch (1748-1843); reputed to have played in the first Scottish cricket match in 1785 and to be responsible for the introduction of Cleveland horses and Devon cattle into Scotland. He raised the Perthshire volunteers (2nd Scottish Rifles) and received the temporary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel Commandant in 1794. He obtained his permanent military rank by the influence of Sir John Moore and was his Aide-de-Camp at Corunna. Graham was in command of the British troops ordered to take San Sebastian, but the first siege, begun on the 10th July 1813, was repulsed with heavy losses. The siege was turned into a blockade and on the 31st July an assault was finally made which took the town. The castle still held out, however, and it was not until batteries were brought to bear on it that some success was obtained. The castle surrendered on the 8th September.
One of Mudie's National Medals (see Brown 1 p256.1057) issued in 1820. Examples of this medal occur in white metal and are probably restrikes and were not included in the series. This medal is believed to have been struck in gold but no specimen has been met with.
Bibliography: Cochran-Patrick, R. W., 'Catalogue of the Medals of Scotland from the earliest period to the present time', Edinburgh, 1884, 116/47; Fiala, E. 'Münzen und Medaillen der Welfischen Lande', Prague, 1915, 471; Grueber, H. A. 'Synopsis of the contents of the British Museum Department of Coins and Medals'. A Guide to the English Medals exhibited in the King's Library. London, 1881, 127/557; Mudie, James. 'An historical and critical account of a grand series of National Medals', London, 1820, 24.
- Not on display
- Associated events
- Commemoration of: Battle of San Sebastian, 1813
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The Bank of England loaned their Collection to the British Museum in 1865 wishing to make it accessible to the general public. This remained as a separate Collection until 1877 when the Bank Directors decided it would be more useful to the museum and the public if incorporated into the national collection. The Bank of England collection was therefore presented to the British Museum in 1877, any duplicates being sold to create a coins and medals purchase fund.
- Coins and Medals
- Registration number
- C&M catalogue number
MB3 (Brown 1) (184) (761)