- Museum number
Cast gunmetal medal; pierced and with an incuse reverse. (whole)
Bust of Alexandre de Sève, right. (obverse)
- Production date
Diameter: 49.500 millimetres
Weight: 25.25 grammes
Thickness: 2 millimetres (at rim)
- Curator's comments
- Jones 2
Composition of medal:
84.0% Cu, 8.9% Zn, 4.0% Sn, 2.9% Pb.
This is an early after cast of a medal which normally has a reverse with the legend NEC DEVIAT VSQVAM.
Alexandre de Sève, Seigneur de Chatignonville, and Provost of the Paris Merchants (1655-62), was a well-known collector of ancient coins (he had seven or eight hundred large bronze medallions). An Académie de médaillistes met periodically at his house (see 1, 4).
1. Marolles Suite des Mémoires p.267.
2. T.N. Méd. Fr. I pl. 65, no 3.
3. A. d'Affry de la Monnoye Jetons no. 182.
4. Bonnaffé Amateurs français p.292.
5. Blanchet and Dieudonné, p. 178.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- From the sale of the E. Meunier collection, Drouot Rive-Gauche, Paris, 30.11.1979, lot 89.
- Coins and Medals
- Registration number
- C&M catalogue number
MF2 (Jones 2) (303) (352)