- Museum number
Pewter medal with suspension loop and ribbon. (whole)
Cuirassed, draped bust of George Walker bare head, three-quarter left. (obverse)
Castle gate flying the British flag above, ships at sea. (reverse)
- Production date
Diameter: 40.000 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Brown 1980 states:
In Londonderry a society known as the 'Apprentice Boys of Derry' was formed in 1714 to commemorate the closing of the gates of Londonderry at the start of the siege in 1689. A similar society was formed in Dublin in 1814.
Some specimens of this medal are pierced on the edge for wearing and the portrait of Walker is copied from a painting by Sir Godfrey Kneller. The dies were, according to Frazer, in the possession of the Club and held by Major Blacker of Castle Blacker, Portadown. Frazer also notes a proof in bronze on a thick flan and other castings in gun or bell metal.
Bibliography: Frazer, W. The Medallists of Ireland and their work. Extracts from the 'Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland'. Vol. XVII/465; Sandwich, The Rt. Hon. the Earl of. 'British and Foreign medals relating to naval and maritime affairs', 2nd ed., London, 1950, M/3.
- Not on display
- Associated events
- Commemoration of: The Foundation of Apprentice Boys of Derry Club, 1814
- Acquisition date
- Coins and Medals
- Registration number
- C&M catalogue number
MB3 (Brown 1) (204) (855)