- Museum number
This green rectangular fragment is made of silk gauze. Its edges are rolled and stitched with yellow silk threads. It has a
very loose structure patterned with diamonds repeated 5.5 cm in the warp direction and 4.3 cm in the weft direction. It was probably once part of a banner.
Warp: silk, untwisted, single, green, 40 ends/cm; Weft: silk, untwisted, single, green, 11 lats/cm. Weave structure: 2-end complex gauze for pattern on 4-end complex gauze for foundation.
- Production date
Length: 24 centimetres
Width: 6 centimetres
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 1917-11-28 group (with MAS numbering) refers to objects from Stein's Second Central Asian Expedition, 1906-08. As the expedition was financed 3/ 5 by the Government of India and 2/5 by the British Museum, it was agreed that the finds from the expedition should be allocated in these proportions. All the finds were shipped to London for sorting, research and publication, and subsequent distribution. The distribution of the finds between London and India was determined by specialists, appointed by the Government of India (through the India Office, London) and the British Museum, who drew up lists of the objects for approval by both sides. The specialists included: Raphael Petrucci, under supervision of Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on paintings; Dr F W Thomas, Dr E Denison Ross (both nominated by India Office) and Dr L D Barnett (British Museum) on manuscripts and written documents; Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on archaeological/other finds. Although the lists were drawn up and approved in 1915, the Government of India asked the British Museum to look after the entire collection during the First World War, and those allocated to India were eventually shipped in 1919.
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: Ch.00324.b (Stein no.)