- Museum number
Narrow rectangular fragment of silk plain weave made of clamp resist dyeing technique, with selvage on one side. The dyed pattern, with a repeat 14.5cm in warp direction, uses light brown as the ground colour, orange as the flowers, but green and yellow for the flower centre, but they are not very clear.
Warp: silk, untwisted, single, 32 ends/cm; Weft: silk, untwisted, 20 lats/cm. Weave structure: 1/1 plain weave.
- Production date
Length: 35 centimetres
Width: 3.60 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- This record is being updated as part of the Stein Project in the Department of Asia.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 1917-11-28 group (with MAS numbering) refers to objects from Stein's Second Central Asian Expedition, 1906-08. As the expedition was financed 3/ 5 by the Government of India and 2/5 by the British Museum, it was agreed that the finds from the expedition should be allocated in these proportions. All the finds were shipped to London for sorting, research and publication, and subsequent distribution. The distribution of the finds between London and India was determined by specialists, appointed by the Government of India (through the India Office, London) and the British Museum, who drew up lists of the objects for approval by both sides. The specialists included: Raphael Petrucci, under supervision of Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on paintings; Dr F W Thomas, Dr E Denison Ross (both nominated by India Office) and Dr L D Barnett (British Museum) on manuscripts and written documents; Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on archaeological/other finds. Although the lists were drawn up and approved in 1915, the Government of India asked the British Museum to look after the entire collection during the First World War, and those allocated to India were eventually shipped in 1919.
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: Ch.00310 (Stein no.)