- Museum number
One banner heading MAS.880.b and one fragment of clamp resist dyed silk textile MAS.880.a. The heading consists of two sections, the top borders made of damask with diamond pattern on plain weave, repeating 0.5cm in warp and 0.7cm in weft directions, and the central triangular piece made of red plain weave. On the top border of the banner, there is an ink inscription, probably tuan wei hua, the meaning of which is not explainable. With a scroll border on one side, the banner panel uses damask on plain weave with tiny lozenge pattern which repeats 0.8cm in warp and 0.3cm in weft direction. But the major pattern was made with clamp resist dyeing technique. Blue and orange colours were dyed first for the ground and flower first, but the green colour for the leaves was achieved after painting yellow on the blue. The pattern has a lozenge grid constructed with floral scrolls and quatrefoils in the centre, one of which has a missing central part showing the textile was folded during dyeing. Ignoring the missing part, the pattern repeats approximately 18cm in both warp and weft direction.
Comparably, a similar piece is in the collection at the V&A Museum (Stein Loan 556), which has a banner heading with the same inscription, and banner panel with the same clamp resist dyed pattern.
Banner panel: damask on plain weave:
Warp: silk, untwisted, single, 42 ends/cm; Weft: silk, untwisted, 30 lats/cm. Weave structure: 2-4 patterning weave on 1/1 plain weave ground weave.
一件幡頭MAS.880.b和一片由夾纈製成的幡身殘片MAS.880.a.。幡頭由兩部分製成，一是由方點綺製成的斜邊，其圖案循環爲經向0.5cm和緯向0.7cm，另一是紅絹作三角形的幡面。在幡頭斜邊上，有一墨書題記，可能爲“團緯花”三字，但其意義不明。幡身一邊有線縫卷邊，織物爲極小的菱格紋綺，組織爲平紋地上緯浮顯花，循環爲經向0.8cm，緯向0.3cm。但此幡的主要圖案由夾纈製成，藍色染地，橙色染花，染葉的綠色由藍底上的畫黃色形成，上有卷草紋構成的方勝骨架，再由十樣花填爲中心，其中一個十樣花的中心部分有缺失，應爲夾纈染色時折疊引起。如不考慮這部分的缺失，原來的夾纈圖案的經緯向循環均約在18cm左右。類似的幡在與維多利亞愛爾伯特博物館中也有收藏（Stein Loan 556），其幡頭有相同的題記，幡身的織物與夾纈圖案也完全一致。
- Production date
Height: 20 centimetres
Width: 33.50 centimetres
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 1917-11-28 group (with MAS numbering) refers to objects from Stein's Second Central Asian Expedition, 1906-08. As the expedition was financed 3/ 5 by the Government of India and 2/5 by the British Museum, it was agreed that the finds from the expedition should be allocated in these proportions. All the finds were shipped to London for sorting, research and publication, and subsequent distribution. The distribution of the finds between London and India was determined by specialists, appointed by the Government of India (through the India Office, London) and the British Museum, who drew up lists of the objects for approval by both sides. The specialists included: Raphael Petrucci, under supervision of Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on paintings; Dr F W Thomas, Dr E Denison Ross (both nominated by India Office) and Dr L D Barnett (British Museum) on manuscripts and written documents; Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on archaeological/other finds. Although the lists were drawn up and approved in 1915, the Government of India asked the British Museum to look after the entire collection during the First World War, and those allocated to India were eventually shipped in 1919.
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: Ch.00307 (Stein no.)