- Museum number
A wool woven fragment, sewn together with two pieces. One is a twill fabric with blue and white threads mainly forming a pattern of running animals with horn, repeating in about 6cm, but on one side, with blue, red and yellow lines. The other one has the red and pink strips as ground, with blue and yellow/green geometrical pattern, which repeats 6.8cm in warp direction. The weave is unusual which was woven in a double warp-faced weave partly and in a twill weave partly for the same piece. Both pieces consist of one side selvage. The fragment was excavated from the ruins at Miran, so that it was probably made by the Tibetan weaver, and could be considered as an imitation of twined structure or samite in the Tang dynasty.
a. Geometrical pattern
Warp: wool, S-2Z, single, red and pink colours alternate to form a ground of strips on the front, however, on the back of red strips there are blue and yellow, but on the back of pink strips are blue and green, 26 front ends/cm and 26 back ends/cm; proportion: one front warp to one back warp;; Weft: wool, Z twisted, dark brown, single, 13 pairs/cm. Weave structure: double-faced weave, in 3/1 broken twill.
b. Running animals
Warp: wool, S-2Z, single, blue and white for the major part, and blue, red, yellow for the side, 26 front ends/cm and 26 back ends/cm; proportion: one front warp to one back warp; Weft: wool, S-2Z, single, dark brown, single, 13 pairs/cm. Weave structure: double-faced weave, in 3/1 broken twill, and joint with twined weave structure.
- Production date
Length: 28 centimetres (fragment a)
Length: 27 centimetres (fragment b)
Width: 8.50 centimetres (fragment a)
Width: 3.50 centimetres (fragment b)
- Curator's comments
- This record is being updated as part of the Stein Project in the Department of Asia.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 1917-11-28 group (with MAS numbering) refers to objects from Stein's Second Central Asian Expedition, 1906-08. As the expedition was financed 3/ 5 by the Government of India and 2/5 by the British Museum, it was agreed that the finds from the expedition should be allocated in these proportions. All the finds were shipped to London for sorting, research and publication, and subsequent distribution. The distribution of the finds between London and India was determined by specialists, appointed by the Government of India (through the India Office, London) and the British Museum, who drew up lists of the objects for approval by both sides. The specialists included: Raphael Petrucci, under supervision of Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on paintings; Dr F W Thomas, Dr E Denison Ross (both nominated by India Office) and Dr L D Barnett (British Museum) on manuscripts and written documents; Dr E Denison Ross (nominated by India Office) and Laurence Binyon (British Museum) on archaeological/other finds. Although the lists were drawn up and approved in 1915, the Government of India asked the British Museum to look after the entire collection during the First World War, and those allocated to India were eventually shipped in 1919.
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: ? (Stein no. (incorrect))