- Museum number
a) Katana (long sword) blade. Made of steel; signed and inscribed.
b) Saya (scabbard). Made of black lacquered wood with textile and metals.
c) Tsuka (hilt): made of wood, ray skin, braided textile. Menuki: shakudo chrysanthemum blossoms on flowing water; made of gold. Fuchi-kashira: monkeys depicted in high-relief gold inlay on nanako ground; made of shakudo.
d) Tsuba (sword guard). Mokko shaped; carved overall with cluster of chrysanthemums; with thick seppa (oval copper spacer); made of shakudo.
- Production date
May 1910 (blade)
1876-1911 (c. mounting)
Length: 65 millimetres (blade without tang)
Curvature: 1.50 centimetres (blade)
- Curator's comments
The sword was made by Miyamoto Kanenori at the age of 81 in 1910.
This blade is 'shinogi zukuri' and has a medium 'kissaki'; its shape is similar to that of Kambun shinto. The tang has one hole and the file marks are 'kiri'. The tang tip is 'kurijiri'. The grain is prominent 'itame'. The 'hamon' is a deeply varying 'saka gunome' and 'choji' in large 'nie' and overall 'sunagashi'. The 'boshi' is 'komaru' with some 'haki'.
Kanenori studied under Yokoyama Sukekane (no. 52) during the late Edo period. The blade is a valuable record of the 'imperial craftsman' system during the late Meiji era.
The 'uchigatana' mounting was assembled long after the Haitorei (law banning the public wearing of swords) of 1876, but it is in Edo-period style. The 'menuki' are gold and 'shakudo' chrysanthemum blossoms on flowing water. The 'fuchi' and 'kashira' have monkeys depicted in high-relief gold inlay on a 'shakudo nanako' ground. The 'tsuba' is 'mokko' shape in 'shakudo' carved overall with a cluster of chrysanthemums. The later thick 'seppa' might indicate that the 'tsuba' has been changed since the mounting was assembled, although the sword is believed to have been a presentation piece and was in the possession of the same British family from 1911 until it was acquired by the museum in 1998.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The sword is believed to have been a presentation piece and was in the possession of the same British family from 1911 until it was acquired by the museum in 1998.
- Registration number