- Museum number
Elephant, perhaps used as a divider. Like BM 1904.1217.36 this elephant is almost in the round but without ornaments or a rider; its forelegs are planted side by side and its hind legs are partly rounded but joined together and to the backing block behind. The trunk is raised, touching the forehead, but the end is too damaged to show whether it held anything. The oval eyes are open and with distinct lids; the bulge above the vestigial tusks has grooves for folds in the hide. The trunk is similarly marked, especially on the underside; the short ears have low ridges for folds; the nails are shown by arched grooves on the front and sides of the feet. The body and legs are somewhat mechanically rounded. The backing block is extended a short way over the elephant as if to form a roof.
- Production date
Diameter: 26.40 centimetres
Height: 13.60 centimetres
Width: 8.10 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Zwalf 1996:
For the use on stupas of projecting elephants see BM 1904.1217.36.
- Not on display
- 1.Grey schist, cracked and chipped.
2.Top of backing block flat and smooth behind and above elephant with mason's mark(P); bottom flat.
3.Back of backing block sawn in recent times (Museum registration number partly lost) presumably for easier attachment to an exhibition mount.
4.Plaster infilling on block and platform beneath hind legs.
5.Sides of platform flat and smooth.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Purchased from Lieutenant-Colonel F. G. L. Mainwaring.
- Registration number