- Museum number
Part of a cornice, probably from a harmikā superstructure. One long and two short sides have a chequerboard parapet of squares, alternately open and blocked, above a damaged band of sawtooth enrichment; along the soffit beneath is a row of brackets grooved on the side to indicate that they are horizontal S-shaped brackets; in front they have a beaded vertical groove and they rise from a platform with an acanthus-leaf soffit and end in a Corinthian capital.
- Production date
Diameter: 15.30 centimetres
Height: 7.30 centimetres
Width: 45 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Zwalf 1996:
Joined horizontally to one or more elements to complete the square, this piece may have rested with its flat underside over one or more tiers, like BM 1899.0609.63, at the top of an inverted stepped pyramid over a harmikā block.
- Not on display
- 1.Grey schist, broken, chipped, with soil incrustation and rejoined.
2.Top with parapet front and sides and on each return a cramp mortise to back; rebated at back to each side with smooth surface; rest of back irregular and partly broken; surface within parapet sunk and rough with chisel grooves.
3.Bottom, where undamaged, flat and smooth and with mason's centre line.
4.Rejoined from two pieces with modern metal cramp.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Collected by Sir Edward Clive Bayley.
- Registration number