- Museum number
Object: The Death of the Buddha.
Object: The Enshrinement of the Relics.
Part of a stupa drum panel with an incomplete scene of the Buddha's Death and one almost complete showing the Enshrinement of the Relics. The fragmentary scene on the right shows part of the Buddha's couch, a turned leg and the Buddha's head and right shoulder, his head against a plain halo and resting, beside his hand, on a pillow. The Buddha's face is very indistinct under wavy hair and the uṣṇīṣa. Below the bed a prostrate grieving figure raises an arm from the elbow. Beside the head of the bed Indra stands, under a tree, in three-quarter view wearing a low and ornamented cylindrical cap, an earring, a collar and an uttarīya in the narrow mode. He holds one hand to the side of his head, fingers on the forehead and thumb to the ear in what may be a pensive gesture. A tall figure next to him in uttarīya, collar, earring, bracelet and turban joins damaged hands.
In the next scene a stupa on a rectangular base has columns at the four corners, those at the back indicated by repeating in low relief the capital elements only. On the side of the base, above the plinth, is a diaper of four-petalled flowers, while the columns have plain shafts under flattened globular capital elements horizontally grooved. The two large drums, the upper drum set back above the lower, are enriched with acanthus and support a dome with a barely visible false gable panel on the side, a vedikā register at the bottom, and a lotus with stamens above. The damaged harmikā is surmounted by a tapering spire of four parasols and a finial with pleated banners on either side. Beside the stupa are worshippers in crested turban, ornaments, uttarīya and paridhāna; the farthest from the stupa is holding a reliquary, while the two beside it join their hands. Vestiges of a tree remain on the left.
The stupa in this context is commonly represented with two or four persons: they may be layfolk, layfolk and monks or monks only. They normally join their hands and sometimes several carry relic caskets, although the legend requires one deposit only to a stupa.
The scenes are separated by a double frame enclosing a column with a Corinthian capital, a base like a squat pot on a plinth and a narrow band round the shaft. The cornice consists, under a fascia with sawtooth enrichment, of squat, vertically grooved brackets of simplified horizontal "S" shaped pattern type with an acanthus capital and based on a panel with an acanthus pattern on the soffit (compare BM 1888.0806.1 with references). The plain framing fillet at the bottom of the panel is badly chipped.
- Production date
Diameter: 5.70 centimetres
Height: 15.50 centimetres
Width: 32 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Zwalf 1996:
For a very similar Enshrincment see Berlin MIK I 181.
- Not on display
- 1.Dark grey schist, broken and cracked.
2.Top flat but rough with incised 'J'; bottom flat and rough with chisel grooves; both sides broken.
3.Back with vertical chisel grooves and painted '11991'.
4.Round pinhole from front to back.
5.Curved in section.
- Associated events
- Associated Event: Enshrinement of the Relics
- Acquisition notes
- Given in 1876 by Mrs Mary Eustace Smith to the former India Museum. For the donor see the India Museum Slip Book, nos 11751-12000, in the offices of the present Indian and South-east Asian Section of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Registration number