Explore the collection
The new British Museum Collection online aims to be intuitive and simple to use.
Please note that if you wish to visit and see an object listed as 'on display', you'll need to check the gallery pages. A number of galleries are not open to the public at present.
Full instructions are below, but to get started:
- Start typing in the search box.
- As you type, suggested searches will appear below to help you find what you’re looking for.
- Select one of the suggestions or press enter to run a search.
- If you want to search for a phrase or sentence, add quotation marks around it – for example "gold plated".
- After running a search, you'll end up with a set of results which you can filter to narrow down and find what you're looking for.