Giving vital support
to the work of
Volunteers contribute to the work of the Museum in many different ways, from engaging with visitors in the galleries, to supporting the work of the Museum’s curatorial, learning or administrative departments.
Volunteer Placement Opportunity: Conservation and Scientific Research
We have an opportunity for a volunteer to support the Conservation and Scientific Research team within the Museum. The Museum has one of the oldest and largest conservation and scientific research departments in the world. Every object in the British Museum, including those on display, is cared for by a dedicated team of conservators and scientists. They work alongside curators and other staff to preserve and investigate over 8 million objects, instigating and supporting the latest scientific and curatorial research into the collection.
The principal aims of the Museum’s conservators and scientists are to preserve the collection for present and future generations and to bring history to life for a global audience, through a greater understanding of materials and making of objects. In 2014 the Department relocated to accommodation in the Word Conservation and Exhibitions Centre (WCEC). The majority of the Department is now housed under one roof and has access to state of the art facilities and new equipment.
This volunteer role will be to assist with the digitisation of the records of conservation treatments.
This opportunity will include:
- Supporting staff with handling and scanning Conservation Treatment Envelopes including their content
- Using an internal British Museum database to record object information and treatment details
- Supporting staff with uploading scans and reports for the database system
- Assisting with summarising information regarding conservation treatments
What we would like from you:
- An interest in conservation and science
- Prior experience in working with databases would be useful, although training and support will be provided
- You will be reliable, patient, and have a high attention to detail
- Ideally you will be able to commit to at least 1 day per week over a period of 3 -4 months
What you can expect from us:
- An opportunity to gain valuable experience supporting the British Museum’s team of conservators and scientists. The role would be ideal for a conservation student or somebody who would like to broaden their knowledge of conservation.
How to apply
Please complete the Volunteer Enquiry form and send, with a copy of your CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting ‘CSR Opportunity’ as the subject title.
Closing date for application: 19 February 2016.