The Egypt Centre
Recommend this exhibition
The Egypt Centre houses one of the top collections of Egyptian antiquities in the United Kingdom. The museum, officially opened in September 1998, has a collection of over 3,000 Egyptian antiquities once owned by the manufacturing pharmacist Sir Henry Wellcome (1853-1936). The museum comprises of two galleries called The House of Life and The House of Death.
The collection covers the time span of c4000 BC- AD 500. Some 250 objects derive from the Egyptian Exploration Fund excavations at Tell el-Amarna, as well as Armant. Objects include the painted coffin of a lady musician from Thebes, beautiful bead necklaces from the time of Tutankhamun and a mummified crocodile.
Green glazed composition(now white) figure of Taweret with the sa-symbol; one fore-paw has broken away.