fan (Scope note)

In the case of fans of the European type, the term 'fan' is used whether or not the fan has been mounted on sticks; the term 'print' or 'drawing' is added as appropriate. The term 'fan-print' is used for Japanese woodblock prints designed for use as fans, but not necessarily mounted on sticks.