stucco (Scope note)

The term 'stucco' is used here in a general sense as it can have various meanings, but traditionally refers to a wall coating or render. However, the term also refers to sculptural and artistic use of the material for decoration and figurative representations. Stucco can be of various compositions: it is usually an aggregate of lime and sand, but may be of other compositions. The composition should be specified where known, e.g. lime-stucco or gypsum-stucco, etc. See also the Technique term 'stuccoed'.