British Library (Biographical details)
British Library (institution/organisation; British; 1973 onwards)
Also known as
96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB (1998-).
The British Library was formed in 1973 by amalgamating several other institutions, including the National Lending Library at Boston Spa, with the three existing British Museum library departments - the Department of Printed Books, the Department of Manuscripts and the Department of Oriental Manuscripts & Printed Books (the Map Library and the Music Library were sub-sections of the first). The term "British Library" is used in BM catalogue records where objects were transferred at some previous time from one of the library departments to a department which remained in the British Museum, even though at the time of transfer the BL did not yet exist.
A BRIEF CHRONOLOGY
Founding of the British Museum's Department of Printed Books (1753); Patent Office Library opened (1855); Reading Room opened (1857); The British Library Act (1972); British Library established (1973); National Central Library and National Lending Library for Science and Technology amalgamated as the British Library Lending Division (1973); absorbed the British National Bibliography and the Office of Scientific and Technical Information (1974); India Office Library and Records transferred to the British Library from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (1982); the Library took over the British Institute of Recorded Sound (later National Sound Archive) (1983); British Library opened on Euston Road (1998).
P.R.Harris, 'The Library of the British Museum'
'Libraries within the Library: the origins of the BL's printed collections'' ed. Giles Mandelbrote aand Barry Taylor, 2009