What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Sir George Francis Hill (Biographical details)

Sir George Francis Hill (archaeologist; British; Male; 1867 - 1948)

Also known as

Hill, George Francis

Biography

Archaeologist and numismatist; born 22 December 1867 in Bengal. Son of a missionary, and the youngest of five children. Educated at University College London, then Merton College, Oxford. Married Mary (q.v. under Mary Hill) in 1897 (she died in 1924). In April 1893 began work at the British Museum in the Department of Coins and Medals on the series of catalogues of Greek coins: Lycia, Pamphylia and Pisidia (1897), Lycaonia, Isauria and Cilicia (1900), Cyprus (1904), Phoenicia (1910), Palestine (1914), Arabia, Mesopotamia and Persia (1922). Also published 'A Corpus of Italian Medals of the Renaissance Before Cellini' (1930). Appointed Keeper of Coins and Medals in 1912. Remained at the British Museum during the First World War. Appointed Director of the British Museum on 1 January 1931 (the first archaeologist to hold the position). Retired in 1936. Died 18 October 1948.
Awarded CB in 1929, knighthood in 1932, honorary fellowships and doctorates at Oxford, London, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Manchester. Medals of the Royal, American and French numismatic societies. Fellow of British Academy from 1917. Vice-President of many learned societies.

Bibliography

www.amnumsoc.org/inc/hillbio.html
See Oxford Dictionary of National Biography; also National Register of Archives.