George Augustus Robinson (Biographical details)
George Augustus Robinson (official; British; Australian; Male; 1791 - 1866)
Also known as
Robinson, George Augustus
'Protector' of Aborigines, Tasmania and Victoria. Born 22 March 1791, probably in London. Arrived Hobart January 1824 established as a builder. Concerned about violence between colonists and the Aboriginal population. Took a job teaching Christian principles and European farming practices to Aborigines on Bruny Island 30 March 1829. Carried out 'conciiliation' expeditions around Tasmania in early 1830s to persuade those people he encountered to accompany him to a settlement on Flinders Island. By 1834 most of the surviving Tasmanian Aborigines had been removed to Flinders Island and in 1847 then removed to Oyster Cove. Many died.
Appointed Chief Protector in Port Phillip District (now Victoria) 1839-1849. Left for London May 1852. Died 18 Oct 1866, Bath.
Collections made by Robinson in British Museum, Pitt Rivers Museum, Museum Victoria, Queen Victoria Museum & Art Gallery.
'Robinson, George Augustus (1791 - 1866)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 2, Melbourne University Press, 1967, pp 385-387. (Also online).
Plomley, N.J.B. Weep in Silence, A History of the Flinders Island Aboriginal Settlement. Blubber Head Press, Hobart 1987.