Salisbury & South Wiltshire Museum (Biographical details)

Salisbury & South Wiltshire Museum (institution/organisation; British; 1860)

Also known as

Salisbury & South Wiltshire Museum; Salisbury, South Wiltshire and Blackmore Museum; Blackmore Museum (1902)

Address

Salisbury & South Wiltshire Museum The King's House 65 The Close Salisbury Wiltshire SP1 2EN

Biography

Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum was founded by Dr Richard Fowler in 1860, located in St Ann’s Street in Salisbury; founding collection primarily consisted of medieval finds from old water channels in the city, replaced by sewers in the 1850s.

The Blackmore Museum was founded in 1864 and opened in 1867 by Salisbury lawyer and philanthropist William Blackmore, who had strong United States business connections. The museum was established to house the Squier and Davis collection of archaeological finds from the mounds of Ohio, USA. The Blackmore Museum was amalgamated with the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum in 1902. The collections of the Blackmore Museum were dispersed in the 1930s and 1960s to the Smithsonian, Birmingham Museum, British Museum, and the collection of Harry G. Beasley.

In 1981, the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum transferred to The King's House in Salisbury Cathedral Close. Since 2014 the museum is known as ‘The Salisbury Museum.’

Bibliography

www.salisburymuseum.org.uk