W & G Smith (Biographical details)

W & G Smith (British; 1835 - 1848; partnership)

Also known as

W & G Smith; Smith, W & G

Biography

This term is used for the partnership of the brothers William and George Smith. See also separate entries for the two men acting individually.
William (qv) and George (q.v.) Smith took over the business on their father's sudden death in 1835, and ran it as a partnership under the name W & G Smith. They were the major supplier to the BM between 1836 and 1849: the Sheepshanks collection in 1836, Georg Friedrich Schmidt in 1838, Cornelis and Johannes Visscher in 1839 (see 1839,0413.155 to 424, his catalogue of the latter was published in 1864). In 1845 they sold two major collections of early prints to the BM: one of 1757 Northern prints for £2,880 (1845,0809.1 to 1757), the other of Italian prints for £4,875 (1845,0825.1 to 829). The brothers retired from the business in 1848/9. The BM purchased selections of their stock and the remaining stock was sold at four auctions.