What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site


Capt Collingwood Ingram (Biographical details)

Capt Collingwood Ingram (military/naval; Male; 1880 - 1981)

Also known as

Ingram, Collingwood


Grandson of the newspaper proprietor, Herbert Ingram (1811-1860, founder of 'Illustrated London News' in 1842). Bought 'The Grange' at Benenden at the end of the First World War, when he retired from the Royal Flying Corps. He became famous for his garden there, with its collection of ornamental Japanese cherries. The Museum acquired a zoomorphic pottery adorno from Grenada in 1975 from Capt. Collingwood Ingram.