What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

John Bridge (Biographical details)

John Bridge (collector; goldsmith/metalworker; British; Male; 1755 - 1834)

Also known as

Bridge, John

Biography

A partner in the famous gold and silversmithing firm of Rundell, Bridge and Rundell (q.v.), Bridge purchased most of the Charles Stuart (q.v.) collection of Indian sculpture in June 1830 and established a private museum of this material in his residence, Wood House, in Shepherds Bush. On the death his brother, George Bridge, in 1872, the collection was transferred to the BM by the Bridge family.

Bibliography

M. Willis, 'Sculpture of India' in A W Franks, edited by M. Caygill and J. Cherry (London, 1997): 250-61.