S W Fores (Biographical details)
S W Fores (publisher/printer; British; Male; 1761 - 1838; continued by heirs)
Also known as
Fores, S W; Fores, Samuel William; Fores; Fores & Co; Fores Gallery; Messrs Fores, Sporting and Fine Art print Repository & Frame Manufactury
1783, City Arms, 3 Piccadilly, near the Haymarket 1795/7?, moved to 50 Piccadilly, corner of Sackville Street 1818-19, addresses at 50 Piccadilly and 312 Oxford Street 1820 onwards, lettering on prints gives address as 41 Piccadilly (same shop, renumbered; 'corner of Sackville Street' added to address in 1834); as Messrs Fores, Sporting and Fine Art print Repository & Frame Manufactury in ca.1840 (for view by T.H.Shepherd see Crace X 139) 1938, Fores & Co moved to 138 New Bond Street 1940s? as Fores Ltd moved to 29 Bruton Street 1980 as Fores Gallery Ltd moved to15 Sicilian Avenue
Publisher and printseller in business for 200 years from 1783. This entry is used for all variations of the firm's name.
S.W.Fores was son of a cloth mechant. Founded his business as a printseller in 1783, specialising in caricatures.
After S W Fores's death in 1838 the business was continued as Messrs Fores by his sons, George Thomas Fores (1806-58) and Arthur Blücher Fores (1814-83), who moved from satirical to sporting prints. It continued to be run by the descendants of George Thomas Fores until well into the 20th century. In the early 21st century the remaining stock was acquired by Stephen Ling of Brackley, Northamptonshire, who continues to reprint the plates (information from Simon Turner).
See Heal,17.53 for a bill-head from 3 Piccadilly dated 1793, and Crace X. 55.139, for a view of the shop at the corner of Sackville Street
ODNB (by Simon Turner)
Mark Bills, 'Samuel William Fores, satirist: Caricatures from the Reform Club', Sudbury Gainsborough's House, 2014 (review Ralph Hyde, PQ XXXII 2015, p.320).