What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Thomas Agnew & Sons (Biographical details)

Thomas Agnew & Sons (publisher/printer; dealer/auction house; British; 1817 founded - 2008 closed)

Also known as

Thomas Agnew & Sons; Agnew; Agnew's; Agnew, Thomas; Agnew & Zanetti; Zanetti & Agnew; Agnew & Sons

Address

94 Market Street, Manchester (1824) Repository of Arts, Manchester (1825, 1828, 1843) Repository of Arts, Exchange Street, Manchester (1837-1840) Repository of Arts, Manchester (1847) Exchnage Street, Manchester (1850) Liverpool (1862) 4 Exchange Street, Manchester (1875) Manchester (1817-1932) 30 Old Bond Street, London (1860- 5 Waterloo Place, Pall Mall, London (in 1874 - 77) 43 Old Bond Street, London, W1S 4BA (1876-) Exchange Art Gallery, corner of Castle Street and Dale Street, Liverpool (1886)

Biography

The firm began in 1817 when Thomas Agnew (1794-1871) entered into partnership with Vittore Zanetti in Manchester. The firm's early business was in print publishing; only later did it become a dealer in modern, then (in 1870s) Old Master, paintings. The London branch was established in 1860. Thomas retired in 1861. Firm run from 1861-95 by William Agnew (1825-1910)

Bibliography

Geoffrey Agnew, 'Agnew's 1817-1967', London 1967 (with an appendix on Agnew's as print publishers and sellers by William Plomer)
'Agnew's a century of print publishing', exhibition catalogue 1983
Archive has material from 1860 to closure in 2008, and belongs to the National Gallery