The Berber-Abidiya archaeological project
- Dr Salah eldin Mohamed Ahmed, Director of Field Work, National Corporation for Antiquities and Museums, Sudan
- Institute for Bioarchaeology
- Michela Schiff Giorgini Foundation of the
- National Corporation for Antiquities and Museums, Sudan
- Anonymous donor
Share this project
Dangeil – the site and its history
Dangeil is located 350km north of Khartoum, within Berber Province just south of the 5th Nile cataract.
L. Linant de Bellefonds was the first traveller to mention Dangeil, visiting the site in 1822. He describes a small village called Danguelle with the remains of a city built of baked bricks. Opposite, on the other side of the Nile, he noted the remains of a small stone fort on the top of the mountain. Early in the twentieth century, J. Crowfoot visited Dangeil and noted a granite block bearing a cursive Meroitic inscription which was later published by F. Ll. Griffith.
Excavations began in 2000 and have revealed that it was a royal city of the Kushite period (ninth century BC–fourth century AD).
It is quite substantial, measuring approximately 300 x 400 metres and consists of a series of large discrete mounds, many standing over four metres above the surrounding plain. Each mound appears to be an individual structure that has been substantially preserved. The surface is covered with red brick and mud brick fragments, plaster, pot sherds and large numbers of temple offering moulds.
The name ‘Dangeil’ means ‘broken red brick’ in Nubian. Evidence suggests the ancient settlement extended westwards towards the river, and part is now under the modern village.
More about the site
A large, well-preserved Amun temple of the first century AD has been uncovered.
About 1,200,000 offering mould fragments have been excavated from a rubbish dump.
A rest station for the god when he left the temple during festivals and processions.