Site C (also called Bamboula or Vournes by the British Museum team) was a low mound around 500m inland from Tsaroukkas. One tomb was found with its door and bronze hinge intact, but the large chamber proved to be empty, possibly never having been used for burial.31 Apart from some fragments of Mycenaean chariot kraters, along with stone and terracotta figurines no doubt belonging to the Iron Age sanctuary constructed in the ruins of the ‘Ashlar Building’ in the 7th century BC, the site produced little of interest for Walters. The traces of buildings he observed here almost certainly correspond to the structures discovered by modern excavations in the area in the 1980s and 1990s. Only the bronze door hinge can now be identified as having come from this excavation (Cat. no. U.23).
Excavations between Kalavasos and Mari (Monday 29th November 1897)
Brief excavations took place in late November and early December 1897 between the villages of Kalavasos and Mari, presumably along the course of the Vasilikos valley. One tomb revealed some Mycenaean pottery, possibly at or close to the site of Ayios Dhimitrios mentioned above, but this was not kept; another spot produced some typical Chalcolithic Red-on-Black sherds and some LBA inscribed scarabs (one kept by the BM); a third site produced bronze daggers and pottery with incised decoration (probably Red Polished wares and contemporary metal goods from one of the well-known EC–MC cemeteries in the area). Only the Chalcolithic pottery was preserved or registered by Walters. Todd has suggested that the Chalcolithic sherds may have come from the area of Kalavasos-Ayious, Kokkinoyia or Pamboules, while the earlier Bronze Age material may have been found in the main village near the Panayia church, whose recent construction would have undoubtedly brought to light ancient material.