New research on Medieval embroideries from Tell Edfu at the Louvre Museum
The site of Tell Edfu (Upper Egypt) was excavated between 1914 and 1933 by the Institut Français d’Archéologie Orientale (IFAO) and between 1937 and 1939 by IFAO and Warsaw University. As a result of annual divisions of excavated material, the Louvre Museum received more than 500 objects, testifying to the occupation of the site from the Old Kingdom through the Medieval period. During the summer 2011, a set of embroideries found in 1923/24 by H. Henne in the Medieval cemetery of Tell Edfu were ‘rediscovered’ in the stored collections of the Louvre Museum. These pieces have since been the subject of a radiocarbon dating project by the Louvre Museum. The results of an extensive technical and iconographical study are presented here.
To reference this article we suggest:
Mérat, A. 2014. New research on Medieval embroideries from Tell
Edfu at the Louvre Museum. BMSAES 21: 63–79.
Contact the author