What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Conservation

Treatment date
5 October 2011

Reason for treatment
Permanent Exhibition

Treatment proposal
Light clean to remove dust. Check fit of cradle mount, repair as necessary. Upgrade or line existing mount.

Condition
The mount is not appropriate for the sword; the mount has been painted with an off white layer of paint and underneath a layer of blue paint. The sword is rubbing against the mount and some of the paint has transferred to the sword. The sword is in generally very dusty. Some organics remains on the blade have become loose on both sides. There are also some loose areas of iron. There are modern unidentified fibres all over the blade surface. The exposed side of the sword has a different colour (more matt and greyish) than the one that sits on the mount. There is a small area that presents a shiny greyish colour, as if some sort of paint was applied to this part. Most of the sword has been covered with a thick layer of adhesive which has yellowed more in some areas than in others. It seems that the old adhesive has deteriorated more on the exposed side than on the side against the mount, creating the difference in colours. The adhesive is deteriorating and pulling organic remains away from the surface. There are many areas that show cracks on the adhesive.

Treatment details
The sword was removed from the mount and its condition was checked under magnification. Loose areas of the blade were consolidated with 2.5% to 10% Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) in acetone depending on specific needs, it was applied with a glass micropipette. Given that the sword was going to be displayed flat on a table showcase, it was decided that there was no need for a mount, so the mount was removed. The modern unidentified fibred were removed with tweezers. The blade was dusted with air puffer and sable brushes taking care of the loose areas. Areas that are being lifted by the old adhesive were also consolidated with 2.5% to 10% Paraloid B72 in acetone to secured them. A more suitable mount will be made for the permanent exhibition in Gallery 41.