What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Conservation

Treatment date
19 March 2014

Reason for treatment
Permanent Exhibition

Treatment proposal
Join the two fragments that were cut in the past for research purposes with reversible adhesive. Check overall stability.

Condition
The sword blade is in 5 fragments. One of the brakes is a cut that was performed in the past by the BM scientists to be able to examine the cross section of the sword.
The hilt is also separate as well as all the gold parts.


Treatment details
After liaising with curator S. Brunning it was decided that the best solution for the sword and to avoid losing further material from the edges of the blade, was to re-join most of the blade fragments together.
The brake interfaces presented old adhesive which was removed with Acetone (propan-1-one/dimethyl ketone), a scalpel and stencil brush. Four sections (including the cut section) were re-attached with HMG Paraloid B72 (methyl ethyl methacrlylate).
Most sections apart from the cut one needed fills, a mix of glass Microballoons (silica or phenolic resin) and 30% Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) in acetone was used to fill the gaps and provide support. It was decided not to join the whole blade for easier and more secure handling, so now the sword is in two halves and not in 5 fragments. The fills were in-painted with acrylic colours.