What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

spear-head

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1939,1010.103

  • Description

    Iron spear-head with part of socket, very corroded. The blade is leaf-shaped with a prominent mid-rib on both faces, which makes the blade lozenge in section. The socket is approximately circular in section, and is split to a length of 6-7cm.

  • Culture/period

  • Date

    • early 7thC
  • Findspot

  • Materials

  • Type series

    • Swanton C2 type
  • Dimensions

    • Length: 31.5 centimetres (overall)
    • Length: 10.5 centimetres (socket)
    • Length: 21 centimetres (blade)
    • Width: 4 centimetres
  • Bibliography

    • Bruce-Mitford 1978 'Spear no. 3', Fig.189 bibliographic details
  • Location

    G41/dc1

  • Exhibition history

    Exhibited:

    1980 10 Mar-30 Sep, Sweden, Stockholm, Statens Historika Museum, The Vikings are Here

  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    19 December 2013

    Reason for treatment

    Permanent Exhibition

    Treatment proposal

    Seperate fused items as posssible, remove from mount.

    Check and secure any loose services. Remove any excess soil and corrosion to improve surface appearance.

    Condition

    Object is fairly unstable suffering from surface loss and is fragmentary. This is due to either previous wax joins failing or fresh breaks.

    The object is still covered in sand and has excess volumous corrosion, which is obscuring the objects surface.

    The object has been impregnated in wax from a previous conservation treatment which covers the surface, and there are also wax and epoxy repairs which are fairly visible.

    Treatment details

    Before treatment the object was X-radiographed, this was used to investigate any interesting manufacturing features and to understand the objects structural stability during cleaning.

    Removed excess sand and corrosion using a scalpel and stiff brush to improve the surface appearance. Once all of the initial loose surface sand and corrosion was removed the object was de-waxed as far as possible by submerging in White Spirit (composition variable - petroleum distillate) and brushing. This helped to remove surface wax which restored the object more closely to its true colour and loosen any more sand still attached to the surface. This also helped to reveal previous repairs of either wax or epoxy putty.

    (If the section had a lot of preserved wood present on the surface then this was avoided by using large saturated swabs rather then submerging the whole piece).

    This treatment proved best for de-waxing the surface of the object, however due to the wax being impregnated deep into the objects honeycomb-like structure it was not possible to totally de-wax the object. Both poulticing and heat gun treatments were tested but did not prove as satisfactory as White spirits.

    The object was then further cleaned using mechanical techniques using a scalpel and pliers to remove further excess sand and excess corrosion, whilst referring to the X-radiograph to ensure this would not cause any damage to the object (e.g. open large corrosion pockets or remove possible evidence of rivets). Air abrasive was also to remove and cut through any large areas of distorting corrosion bubbles and as a final step to remove any last loose sand, wax deposits or unwanted epoxy putty.

    Where possible fragments and sections of the object were reconstructed using Araldite (epoxy). Any gaps which required a supportive filling were done so using Microballoons (silica or phenolic resin) and 50% Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) in Acetone (propan-1-one/dimethyl ketone). These were then toned in with the object using Liquitex acrylic artist colour (composition unknown).

    About these records 

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1939

  • Acquisition notes

    Excavated 1939

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1939,1010.103

Iron spear-head with part of socket, very corroded. Before conservation treatment

Iron spear-head with part of socket, very corroded. Before conservation treatment

Image description

Recommend


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCS7448

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...

Collection online survey

We want to improve Collection Online and need your help. Please give us your feedback on a survey that will take about five minutes to complete.