- Previous 0/8289
Shallow silver bowl, with a small beaded rim. In the centre of the bowl is an incised roundel, at the centre of an equal-armed cross running from below the rim. The background of the roundel and the arms of the cross are coarsely punched, to give a shaded effect. The arms of the cross are decorated with an incised star motif. The central roundel has six-pointed star with a floral design in centre. Segments of the roundel are filled with incised foliate patterns. One of set of ten bowls, 1939,1010.78-87; a pair with bowl 1939,1010.85.
- Excavated/Findspot: Sutton Hoo, Ship-burial Mound: 1
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Suffolk,Sutton (parish),Sutton Hoo)
- Diameter: 21.8 centimetres
- Depth: 4.8 centimetres
- Weight: 308 grammes
1980 10 Mar-30 Sep, Sweden, Stockholm, Statens Historika Museum, The Vikings are Here
- September 2009 – Permanent Exhibition
- August 2002 – Permanent Exhibition
- March 1998 – Permanent Exhibition
- May 1996 – Permanent Exhibition
- October 1993 – Permanent Exhibition
- June 1991 – Permanent Exhibition
- May 1988 – Permanent Exhibition
- November 1980 – Permanent Exhibition
- February 1978 – Permanent Exhibition
Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- 1939,1010.22a (former number)
Shallow silver bowl. Central inscribed roundel, in the centre of an equal-armed cross running from below rim. Arms of the cross decorated with chased star motif. Central roundel has six pointed star with floral design in centre. Segments of roundel filled with chased foliate patterns. Bowl has small beaded rim. One of set of ten, 1939,1010.78-87.
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: MCS15173
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.