cup / bottle
Cup or small bottle of walnut burr-wood, distorted and incomplete. It has a silver-gilt rim, with a silver-gilt band below decorated with six horizontal grooves. The rim is attached to the neck of the vessel by four curved, grooved silver clips which run from the exterior to the interior of the vessel. Each clip is secured with two rivets with hemispherical heads, arranged one above the other. One clip has rounded ends; the other has square-cut ends.
- early 7thC
- Excavated/Findspot: Sutton Hoo, Ship-burial Mound: 1
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Suffolk,Sutton (parish),Sutton Hoo)
- Diameter: 3.85 centimetres (max; rim external)
- Diameter: 2.8 centimetres (rim internal)
- Height: 4 centimetres (estimated original)
2009 14 Mar-1 Nov, Suffolk, Sutton Hoo Visitor Centre, Welcome to the Feast
1980 10 Mar-30 Sep, Sweden, Stockholm, Statens Historika Museum, The Vikings are Here
Prehistory and Europe
- 1939,1010.128-34,8 (marked on bottom)
Cup or small bottle of walnut burr-wood. Distorted and incomplete. It has a silver-gilt rim, with six horizontal grooves on silver-gilt band below this. This is fastened to the neck by four curved silver clips, each secured by 2 rivets.
Object reference number: MCS16099