Leather fragments from strap of shield 1939,1010.94. One fragment is square with a central rivet and a dark depression, left by a pyramidal stud, and a small square of wood behind. Also two other leather fragments, one crescent-shaped with a hole.
- early 7thC
- Excavated/Findspot: Sutton Hoo, Ship-burial Mound: 1
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Suffolk,Sutton (parish),Sutton Hoo)
- Length: 1.8 centimetres (square)
- Width: 1.5 centimetres (square)
- Length: 4.6 centimetres (crescent)
Britain, Europe and Prehistory
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: MCS16137
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.